ITALIAN (1/16) - WHAT IS THIS THING CALLED SCIENCE? - FAITH & SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALS 1 🧬First webinar of the series Faith and Science Fundamentals, belonging to module 1: SCIENCE. What is science? Which are its main features and how is it different from other sources of knowledge? Why is it important to distinguish between data and interpretation? Is it true that giant frogs exist in the past that ate dinosaurs?
ITALIAN (2/16) - SCIENCE AND TRUTH - FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSSecond video of the webinar series Faith and Science Fundamentals, where we analyze the relationship between science and truth, discussing some philosophical theories on the development of scientific knowledge and the influence of paradigms in the history of science.
ITALIAN (3/16) – GOD’S TWO BOOKS – FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSThird webinar of the Faith and Science Fundamentals series.
In today's session we focus on "God's two books", the Bible and nature, which, because they have the same author, should be in harmony and convey the same message. However, sometimes they seem to be in conflict. Where does this conflict come from? How can we resolve it?
ADDITIONAL REFERENCES AND RESOURCES FOR TOPICS 1-3:
1. GRI WEBSITE: www.grisda.org
2. GRI Live Creation Facebook page:
3. GRI Live Creation YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHFR...
4. BOOK ¿Qué es esa cosa llamada ciencia? Alan F. Chalmers (ESPAÑOL) PDF https://ulagos.files.wordpress.com/20...
5. BOOK What is this thing called science? Alan f. Chalmers (English) PDF https://ebookppsunp.files.wordpress.c...
6. E-BOOK Faith, Reason and Earth History. Leonard Brand and Arthur Chadwick https://www.grisda.org/faith-reason-a...
7. NEWS REPORT Giant Prehistoric Frogs Ate Small Dinosaurs, Claim Scientists http://www.sci-news.com/biology/giant...
8. ARTICLE Bite force in the horned frog (Ceratophrys cranwelly) with implications for extinct giant frogs https://www.nature.com/articles/s4159...
9. Richard Lewontin on Naturalism quote: https://afterall.net/quotes/richard-l...
10. Ellen White quote on the Bible and nature harmony: https://m.egwwritings.org/en/book/100...
11. ARTICLE on Camel Petroglyphs https://biblearchaeology.org/research...
12. DOCUMENTARY on Randy Younker and the Camel Petroglyphs research https://www.grisda.org/audio-visual-m...
13. COMIC BOOK Creation Detectives – The Flooded Desert (on the Coconino Sandstone research by Leonard Brand) – Available in several languages https://www.grisda.org/creation-detec...
14. ARTICLE (ESPAÑOL) Pisadas en las arenas del Tiempo de Leonard Brand http://circle.adventist.org/files/CD2...
15. ARTICLE Footprints in the Grand Canyon by Leonard Brand https://www.grisda.org/origins-05064
16. SCIENTIFIC ARTICLE on The Coconino Sandstone research by Leonard Brand https://www.researchgate.net/publicat...
17. LECTURES by Leonard Brand on the Coconino Sandstone research:
a. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBWk5... (English)
b. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Amu9... (ESPAÑOL)
ITALIAN (4/16) - SCIENTISTS, CHRISTIANS AND CREATIONISTS - FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSScience and religion have not always been seen as opposing worldviews. In fact, the birth of modern science is intimately related to the Christian religion. Early scientists developed their research with the intention of discovering the laws and mechanisms used by God in the creation and workings of the universe. In all ages, even today, great scientists have combined and complemented their scientific activity with their faith in God and an active religious life. Some of them, moreover, have decided to trust that the biblical account of origins tells what really happened, and have found scientific evidence to support this idea.
If you would like more information on the topics covered in the Faith and Science Fundamentals webinars, you can consult the bibliography and additional resources in the following document, which we will be updating each week:
ITALIAN (5/16) THE THEORY OF EVOLUTION – FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSCharles Darwin's theory of evolution was based on natural selection as the engine of change in living beings. Later, with the advances in genetics, mutation was added to the theory as the source of the variations on which natural selection would act. The mutation-natural selection binomial thus became the main mechanism proposed for biological diversity. Do mutation and natural selection have the creative capacity assigned to them? Can they transform an organism into a different one by means of small changes accumulated over a long period of time? Are there other natural mechanisms that can do the job?
ITALIAN (6/16) THEISTIC EVOLUTION – FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSIn the origins debate there exist, between Naturalistic Evolution and Biblical Creation, numerous intermediate theories that are usually grouped under the concept of Theistic Evolution. In this session we describe the main intermediate theories and briefly discuss the theological and scientific problems they present.
In the Google Docs document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fH5gs46Q2e5XHjdOD9aH8WuPuInq8ADQBM19oXztPaU/edit
you can find the references used in the presentation as well as some additional resources to go deeper into this topic. Additional resources for the previous topics can be found in the same document and will be updated throughout the series.
ITALIAN (7/16) INTELLIGENT DESIGN – FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSWhat is Intelligent Design? How is it different from Creationism? Is it a scientific or a religious approach? Who are its main proponents? What are its main arguments? What can we learn from Intelligent Design?
These are some of the questions we answer in our seventh session of Faith and Science Fundamentals.
And if you want to learn more about Intelligent Design or any of the topics covered throughout the series, you can find additional material and resources here:
ITALIAN (8/16) BIBLICAL CREATIONISM – FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSBiblical Creationism is a theory of origins that considers the biblical text of Genesis 1 to 3 as a historical account of what really happened. In this session we review the main ideas included in this theory as well as some misconceptions about it. We also discuss several questions for which we do not have a definitive answer because the biblical text does not give us enough detail and admits different possibilities of interpretation.
More information and additional resources are available at:
ITALIAN (9/16) COMPLEXITY AND INTERDEPENDCY– FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSWe begin the Biology section by describing the characteristics and composition of living things. We then review the concept of Abiogenesis (the appearance of the first living being from non-living matter) and the serious difficulties faced by this theory, which is necessary for the naturalistic perspective of the origin of life. Finally, by means of examples relating to the different levels of study of biology (cells, organs, organisms and ecosystems), we show how the high complexity and interdependence found in all of them point to a superintelligent Creator who designed complete and functional systems from the beginning.
More information and additional resources at:
ITALIAN (10/16) DNA AND DESIGN – FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSDNA is the hereditary material and the molecule that contains the information to make all cellular proteins. Proteins, in turn, are very complex organic molecules that perform multiple cellular functions, including copying, reading and translating DNA. In this webinar we briefly explain how this sophisticated DNA-protein system works, and discover that it is a fascinating example of information, complexity and interdependence in living things that clearly points to an intelligent designer.
If you want more information you can consult our list of additional materials at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1fH5gs46Q2e5XHjdOD9aH8WuPuInq8ADQBM19oXztPaU/edit?usp=sharing
ITALIAN (11/16) EPIGENETICS AND PRE-ADAPTATION – FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSEpigenetics is a recent branch of genetics that studies how chemical "tags" attached to the outside of DNA affect gene expression. The curious thing about these tags is that they are attached or removed depending on environmental factors and are passed on to offspring. In this session of Faith and Science Fundamentals we explore the implications of these discoveries for Biology and for models of origins.
For more information and additional resources:
ITALIAN (12/16) NATURAL SELECTION AND ALTRUISM - FAITH AND SCIENCE FUNDAMENTALSAltruistic behaviors are a challenge to the theory of evolution because those organisms that put the benefit of others ahead of their own should be eliminated by natural selection. However, altruistic behaviors are relatively common in nature. In this session we explore some examples of collaboration, empathy, and altruism in plants and animals. We also discuss how these behaviors are explained depending on the worldview of the researchers.
For more information and additional resources:
If you want to delve deeper into Faith and Science topics, we also recommend the following resources:
- Geoscience Research Institute website: grisda.org.
- Interview Series to Faith and Science Experts "What do I say now?" , produced by Hope Media
- Lecture Series from the European Faith and Science Conference "GRI Live Creation" (2019), produced by Hope Media